23 March 2006 at 09:02 posted by Bart Van Belle 0 Comments

There's a little interview with Tom in OOR. They asked for his favourite book, concert, movie & album.

Album: The Velvet Underground & Nico – The Velvet Underground & Nico (1967)

"Between all the records I listened to when I was fifteen, you sometimes found one that seemed to come from another planet and the ‘banana record’ is the best example of that. I just started playing guitar and learned scales and all and then suddenly there would be Lou Reed with his solo on Run Run Run.
(…)
The whole record intrigued me, because it sounded so dangerous and sexy. And also because I didn’t understand it, although I learned to understand it later on. De band was IT: the way they looked, the combination of instruments.
(…)
They are the ultimate rock group, more than the Beatles."

Book: Jim Thompson – The killer inside me (1952)

"I didn’t have time to read a lot because of the film and dEUS, but I’m catching up right now. I’m reading a lot by Philip Roth and Coetzee, but my real favourite is Jim Thompson. He wrote forty books and I’m at number twenty eight I think. The Killer is unbelievably exciting with a beautiful dark, human tone, like most of his novels.
(…)
A phenomenal artist, lesser known by the younger audience."

(buy from Amazon.com)

Concert: Prince – Parade Tour (Vorst Nationaal, 1986)

“I enjoy making top 5 lists for myself and on the concert list Prince is definitely number one. There is probably only one example of three brilliant records in a row, plus accompanying concerts: Parade, Sign o’ the Times and Lovesexy. Actually I can’t choose, because all three concerts were one giant block of genius. If I had to choose, I would choose Parade. It was my first concert. Astonishing. AND in Vorst Nationaal too, where we are playing with dEUS right now.”

Movie: Who’s afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966)

“This film is actually a filmed theatre piece, based purely on dialog. Dialogues and acting are the two things that I like to work with myself. I can’t think of a movie in which these two elements work as well as in Virginia Woolf. For me there’s a lot of recognition: in my family it was always kind of hard, verbally. Not as hard as in the film, but still. To love seeing each other and on the other hand killing each other verbally, THAT causes the film to get under your skin. ‘If you even existed, I would divorce you’: one of my favourite quotes out of a movie that contains tons of those kinds of remarks. Splendid! And Richard Burton of course, somebody who completely sucked up life. The man had everything: handsome, charming, a real womanizer, very smart. I feel for that.”

(buy from Amazon.com)

(thx to Paulus and zjitnepoz on ISR)

0 Responses so far.